Well Fashion week is less then a month away, and it is that time of year when I start to think about what I am gong to wear. It can be a wee bit more stressful then one would think. Styling in general is not as easy as it looks. Attending Fashion Week, dressing up, getting your photo taken…how in the world could that be stressful? First world problems, I know. But the fact remains it can tax ones patience at times. Fashion Week always seems to creep up on me, and I am suddenly thinking about what I am going to wear and realizing I have’t got a clue. Every season I think “I got this” and every season I look at what I wore and think “hmmm…” I am getting better with each season, so there is hope. But today I am sharing with you some things I have learned over the years.
1 ) Do not wear black unless it you accessorize the hell out of it with color, or there are colors and patterns within the look that adds interest. But flat head to toe black does not photograph well.
2) Go for color and or texture. Bold colors, bright colors, tone on tone colors but think color, color, color. Cities like New York and Paris tend to be very gray so color always stands out and makes for great contrast. And texture: faux fur, tweed, feathers? Yes, yes and yes!
3) Statement bags. This one is harder as they tend to be expensive and not everyone can afford to buy multiple bags for each season for Fashion Week. Some alternatives are renting bags and buying them second hand.
4) Trending pieces. This one is a little easier then bags as many trending pieces can be less expensive. An example of this is the statement barrettes which are super trendy right now, and for the most part fairly affordable unless you are going for the must-have designer version.
Think bold, eye catching and insta worthy. In this look I paired a ruffle metallic skirt (which covers two trends in one) with a seventies inspired top from Sandro. But trying to include one trending it-girl-in-the-know item will definitely up you Fashion Week street style cred.
5) Shoes. Need I say more? You don’t have to Carrie Bradshaw to know that shoes can make or break a look, or they can even be the look. As tempting as it may be to wear super high heels to Fashion Week, it is not the most recommended thing to do unless of course you are being chauffeured from show to show, then I say go for it!
I myself generally go for mid height heels. And luckily sneakers are still super hot right now, so sporting a pair of them during Fashion Week is not only OK, it is a must for any fashionista wanting to up her style game.
6) Dress as comfortably as you can. Yes we all suffer for fashion and there is no gain without pain. But really, you should enjoy Fashion Week. So think comfort: lower heels and sneakers, less body con and more relaxed fit styles, clothing appropriate for the weather; but most importantly, wear what makes you feel your best. Your most fashion forward, wear what makes you feel like you.
Images owned by ALLIE NYC with the exception of the following: